For many people, faith-based organizations can be a valuable source of information and support to help quit smoking successfully. A year-long study among African-Americans showed that smokers who received support from pastors and fellow churchgoers were twice as likely to make progress toward quitting as compared to those who only got a self-help pamphlet at their churches.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health sponsors a faith-based program called Love Thy Neighbor (LTN) to help African-Americans in Pennsylvania to quit smoking successfully. You can find more information about that program below.
Love Thy Neighbor
Love Thy Neighbor’s mission is to empower African-Americans within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to quit smoking. Through program resources and support, LTN seeks to equip smokers with what they need to quit and remain healthy for themselves and for their communities.
The strength of this program is rooted in our national, state and local partnerships. Congregations of all faiths, community centers and other neighborhood centers throughout the state support and educate smokers and their families on the dangers of tobacco use.
Love Thy Neighbor Facts:
- Eight -week course facilitated by local faith-based and community groups throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Comprehensive curriculum and support materials in order to effectively conduct classes.
- Operates in participating Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg churches and community centers.
- Expense reimbursement to eligible churches.
Love Thy Neighbor Resources:
- Connect with the partners in your area for Love Thy Neighbor classes, prayer support and more.
- Listen to inspirational words from faith-based leaders, check out the Love Thy Neighbor Pastor Podcasts.
- If you are a faith-based organization and are interested in developing your own program, we can provide you some materials to get started.
Smokeless tobacco is a known cause of mouth cancer, pancreatic cancer, leukoplakia (white sores in the mouth that can lead to cancer), receding gums and bone loss around the roots of the teeth.